This is a recipe that I have cooked since college, but I have updated it a little here and there... I think I've found the perfect formula.
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
Makes 8 enchiladas; 4 servings of 2
- 2lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts ORRotisserie chicken, meat removed
- 4 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 16 oz. jar salsa verde, divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt, Pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
- I cooked my chicken in the crock pot with the chicken broth for 4 hours on High, but if you would rather not deal with cooking the meat, getting a rotisserie chicken is just as good! I've made it both ways, and it's delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 350, and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the slow cooker, but don't pour out the broth! Shred the chicken in a large bowl (I use my hand mixer!), then mix in 1/4 cup of the reserved broth, 1/4 cup of the salsa verde, the sour cream, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and the cilantro. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour another 1/4 cup of the broth and 1/4 cup of the salsa into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the tortillas, rolling up and placing seam side down in the dish.
- Pour the rest of the salsa over the tortillas and spread out with a spatula. Cover with the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes, then remove foil for a final 5!
Seriously, this is the best meal to make when you need something fast and simple. It's also a great dish to share with family and friends. Enjoy!
Oh, and this is the Salsa verde I like to use! I love the flavor. I bought mine at WalMart, but I've seen it at several grocery stores.